Old 24-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Munched Lilies - red beetle?

Any of you experts know what beastie I've found on my lilies?

A lot of the leaves on some plants have holes eaten into them, though not
usually on the edges, and quite a few flower buds have what looks like
thick white webbing covering them, though I suppose it could be a fungus.

I've found several beetles on them, bright red body and wing cases, six legs
(do all beetles have six?) and long black antennae. About 3/8 inch or a
little more from head to toe.

Never seen anything like them before, they're actually rather pretty, does
the red colour signify they're baddies?:-(

I've only just got really interested in gardening, but know next to nowt
about what I'm doing, so you may get a few idiotic questions from me!

--
Regards, Charles

cthorp at globalnet dot co dot uk
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"
Old 25-05-2003, 12:56 AM
shannie

--

"Charles Thorpe" wrote in message
[...]

Your new friend may be the Scarlet lily beetle Charles, you'll find more
info and a pic here http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
hope this helps

Shan

Old 25-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Charles Thorpe

On Sunday 25 May 2003 00:52, shannie wrote article
in uk.rec.gardening:

Your new friend may be the Scarlet lily beetle Charles, you'll find more
info and a pic here http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
hope this helps

Shan

Many thanks, looks like this is indeed the culprit. I'll pick off as mant as
I can find tomorrow.

Old 25-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Charles wrote in message ...
Your new friend may be the Scarlet lily beetle Charles, you'll find more
info and a pic here http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp
hope this helps

Don't just pick them off, tap them hard on the head with your boot! :-)

If they have laid eggs then the larvae will look like bird droppings as they
cover themselves with their own faeces. These are just as destructive as the
parents. At least, being so colourful, the adults are easier to see.
If you let them eat the leaves off your plants you may well loose them and
you certainly will if they do the same next year. In our garden I found
they loved Madonna Lilies such that I couldn't keep the leaves on them and
they all eventually died out.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 25-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 25 May 2003 22:23:48 +0100, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

I found
they loved Madonna Lilies such that I couldn't keep the leaves on them and
they all eventually died out.

So that's what happened to my Madonna lilies! (maybe)

If you are not totally organic, then the newish Ultimate Bug Killer
spray is effective on my lilies, after picking off and crushing any
visible beetles. Pick them off carefully. They have the most
annoying habit of falling upside down onto the soil and are then hard
to see because they are black underneath.

Pam in Bristol

Old 27-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Charles Thorpe

On Saturday 24 May 2003 23:43, Charles Thorpe wrote article
in uk.rec.gardening:

Any of you experts know what beastie I've found on my lilies?

A lot of the leaves on some plants have holes eaten into them, though not
usually on the edges, and quite a few flower buds have what looks like
thick white webbing covering them, though I suppose it could be a fungus.

I've found several beetles on them, bright red body and wing cases, six
legs (do all beetles have six?) and long black antennae. About 3/8 inch or
little more from head to toe.

Thanks for all the answers, I've squashed most of em and dosed with Provado
so hope I'll get some flowering later.