Old 25-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Bob M.

Default Seeking Advice on my Memorial Day Lawnmower Purchase!

Toro has gotten much cheaper in the past 10 years. That doesn't mean less
expensive. They don't use the Japanese engines any more, instead getting B&S
engines specifically made for them. Parts are expensive and some of the
wheels are plastic instead of rubber.

Electric start isn't necessary on good engines. With compression release,
the pulling effort is much less than it was 20 years ago. The batteries need
to be replaced fairly often. If you get a mower that has a blade clutch,
i.e. the motor can keep running when the blade isn't, you only need to start
the thing once per session. One or two pulls aren't that much of an effort
any more.

Just my humble opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Bob M.
======
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
igy.com...

"Larry" wrote in message news:liDza.91731
I would like a riding lawn mower but just think that I will still need

get a self-propelled one to finish the job.... So, I am leaning towards

self-propelled at this very moment... I want something beefy with a good
horsepower that has a HUGE bag
I'm considering the new Honda aluminum deck commercial/master series or

Toro with a 22 inch deck 6 1/2 hp... Don't know what to think of the
electric start feature they have...

If you have trees or gardens to mow around, you will find the self

propelled
to be more of a hindrance than a help. They are good for long straight
runs, not twisting and turning around things. They are more awkward in

that
situation. I learned to hate my first mower, a self propelled. Do a
comparison for maneuverability. The drive mechanisms add size, weight.

Normally, I'd say to get a mulching blade, but you may have too much grass
to safely mulch. It would help in the drier times though, no bagging and
hauling.

Electric start is not needed on a good mower. My John Deer is five years
old. I push the primer button six times and it starts on one pull.

After
sitting the entire winter, it may take two pulls the first run of the
season.

Deere, Honda, Toro are all good. I've not kept up with individual models

so
I can't give a particular recommendation.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome