Old 25-05-2003, 02:56 AM
James Branvold

Default Two acre lot with lots of weeds

It seems the consensus is that using either a granular weed 'n' feed or a
liquid weed killer will do the job. I wish I posted the question a couple of
weeks ago before I pulled up 5000+ dandelions :-)

My follow-up question is: once you use a weed 'n' feed, you can't seed new
lawn for 6 weeks. I have lots of bare dirt patches in my lawn. Won't new
weeds form in the bare dirt? Would it be better to get a thick lawn with
lots of weeds and then use a weed 'n' feed?

James

"JJ" wrote in message
No, it will kill the existing weeds.

The best I have used is Scott's. Do not get the cheap stuff - you will

just
be wasting your money. I've tried the cheap stuff (Vigoro and Howard
Johnson come to mind). The granules on the cheap stuff are very large and
are simply too heavy to easily stick to the weeds. The Scott's granules

are
much finer. You have to make sure the weeds are wet and you may have to
make a few passes at different angles to get everything.

My preference is liquid, such as Weed-B-Gone. I have a little over two
acres and I've walked just about the whole thing using Weed-B-Gone
concentrate in a hose-end sprayer (with a dash of dish soap - supposed to
help it stick to the weeds with waxy surfaces). An alternative would be

buy/rent a battery powered backpack sprayer or a tow-behind sprayer with a
boom.

Spreading the granules is easier and fastest, but I've had better results
with the liquid.

"James Branvold" wrote in message
.. .

I thought that granular weed and feed would just prevent new weeds from
growing, but wouldn't do anything with existing weeds. Is there a weed

and
feed that will kill existing weeds? If so, what do I look for?

James