Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Lee Hall

Default Tomato plants, falling buds , flowers

Alice Gamewell wrote in message ...
You may want to try contacting your University Extension Office. They may have an answer for you. Its
hard to believe its due to the soap spray you use.
I live in zone 6. My tomatoes are not setting right know, but from thats due to the temp being so cool.

One more thought..... I always thought that the best tomato season in Florida was in the fall. Perhaps
the extension office can answer that one too.
Sorry I can't help more.

srk wrote:

Alice Gamewell wrote in message ...
Are you sure its from spraying? Buds will sometimes fall to set fruit if
the temperature is not warm enough, it has nothing to do with spraying
with soap. What has the weather been like?

We have high 80's during this time in Florida. Plants are very tall.
Just depressing to see with no fruit at all.

srk

From my experience, these are the reasons for blossom drop.

1. too wet
2. too cold
3. too hot
4. too dry
5. too much nitrogen in fertilizer

Since I gave up the high nitrogen fertilizer years ago, the first 4
are all I have to deal with. Unfortunately, they are all beyond my
control. I have, however, used copious amounts of soapy spray during
years with too many aphids.
This did not seem to cause any problem with fruit set. So, unless you
are using so much soapy spray that you are soaking the buds until they
can't pollinate, I would say your answer lies somewhere in 1-5.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B