Old 20-05-2003, 02:32 PM
srk

Default Tomato plants, falling buds , flowers

Every two weeks I started sparying diluted dish washing soap and found
that plants are growing up very healthy but flowers /buds started
falling off. I found out after 2 months the reason is soap spray, I
never had one tomato even though they are very healthy . Initially I
thought it is because of too much nitrogen, and started feeding them
tomato bloom fertilizer. Still no fruits. Because of so many bugs
where I live in florida, I had to use the spray. Next time I will be
careful, but I don't have any other way to keep crawlers/bugs out. Any
suggestions?

Thanks
srk
Old 21-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Penny Morgan

This is a case in point for organic gardeners. I'm not saying that we don't
use some safer soap for problems, but you may be over zealous when it comes
to bugs and applying soap or other products. First off, are your plants
being severely chewed by hornworms or by aphids sucking the juices from the
leaves? Those two bugs would prompt use of soap if they were heavily
infesting the plants. If you see hornworms, hand pick them and drop them in
a bowl of dish liquid and water to kill them. I use gloves, ick!

If you have other bugs, they may be beneficial bugs that will eat the bad
bugs. My point is, if you see no damage being done to the plants, don't
mess with the bugs. They may be your friends. Plants always have bugs on
them for good reason, that also includes spiders who catch many bugs for us.

I would lay off the spraying for awhile and just water your plants. Yes,
too much nitrogen/fertilizer will produce lush, green plants with no fruit
too. My tomatoes produce hundreds of pounds of tomatoes each year. I never
use sprays on them because it may burn the leaves or wreak havoc with the
flower producing. When I plant my tomatoes, I throw a banana (yes, banana's
have potassium) in the hole with a handful of epsom salts (magnesium) and
cover with composted manure. I plant the tomatoes on top of this without
letting the roots touch them. I also plant the tomatoes at least halfway up
the stalk to produce a deep root to protect from wind and rain damage. I
work in Garden Tone Fertilizer around the top of the plants in the first few
inches of soil. I then top dress again with homemade compost to mulch them.
I water twice a week deeply. I also spray or water in the plants with fish
emulsion once a month to boost them in the stress of summer. Once the
tomatoes start to ripen, I cut back on the watering so they produce sweeter
tomatoes. Too much watering at this time, will produce watery tasting
tomatoes.

I hope this helps and your plants recover so you can enjoy your tomatoes
this season.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
m...

Old 22-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Alice Gamewell

Are you sure its from spraying? Buds will sometimes fall to set fruit if
the temperature is not warm enough, it has nothing to do with spraying
with soap. What has the weather been like?

Old 23-05-2003, 12:44 AM
srk

Alice Gamewell wrote in message ...
Are you sure its from spraying? Buds will sometimes fall to set fruit if
the temperature is not warm enough, it has nothing to do with spraying
with soap. What has the weather been like?

We have high 80's during this time in Florida. Plants are very tall.
Just depressing to see with no fruit at all.

srk

Old 23-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Alice Gamewell

You may want to try contacting your University Extension Office. They may have an answer for you. Its
hard to believe its due to the soap spray you use.
I live in zone 6. My tomatoes are not setting right know, but from thats due to the temp being so cool.

One more thought..... I always thought that the best tomato season in Florida was in the fall. Perhaps
the extension office can answer that one too.
Sorry I can't help more.

Old 24-05-2003, 02:56 AM
srk

Thanks for all your advices.

srk.
Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Lee Hall

srk wrote:

Alice Gamewell wrote in message ...
Are you sure its from spraying? Buds will sometimes fall to set fruit if
the temperature is not warm enough, it has nothing to do with spraying
with soap. What has the weather been like?

We have high 80's during this time in Florida. Plants are very tall.
Just depressing to see with no fruit at all.

srk

From my experience, these are the reasons for blossom drop.

1. too wet
2. too cold
3. too hot
4. too dry
5. too much nitrogen in fertilizer

Since I gave up the high nitrogen fertilizer years ago, the first 4
are all I have to deal with. Unfortunately, they are all beyond my
control. I have, however, used copious amounts of soapy spray during
years with too many aphids.
This did not seem to cause any problem with fruit set. So, unless you
are using so much soapy spray that you are soaking the buds until they
can't pollinate, I would say your answer lies somewhere in 1-5.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B
Old 27-05-2003, 07:44 PM
srk

From my experience, these are the reasons for blossom drop.

1. too wet
2. too cold
3. too hot
4. too dry
5. too much nitrogen in fertilizer

Lee Hall
Zone 6B

Yeah, I will try cutting down my watering frequency. To hot weather,
cann't do anything about it.

Thanks
srk
Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
srk

I found this very useful link, if anyone is interested.

http://www.ames.com/newsletter/spring02/tomatotime.html

As mentioned in that site I will try sugar liquid spray for preventing
blossom drop.

--srk

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Iris flowers keep falling over PatK Gardening 16 15-03-2011 07:56 PM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
Zucchini Flowers Falling Off Seeker Edible Gardening 3 28-06-2003 01:20 PM