Old 26-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Carol Adams

Default Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.

Back to the pepper theft issue (and thanks for the info on bird netting, as
I have considered it for other purposes and would never have thought it
could be harmful), does everyone concur with Libralove that it's highly
unlikely that wildlife of some sort has been taking my peppers? I've wanted
to believe it was wildlife, as the alternative is much more unpleasant.
However, if the thefts are being carried out by a person and not an animal,
I'm pretty sure I know who it is. I just don't want to confront this person
if there is any chance animals could be taking my peppers. If not, I am
going to have to bring it up with him.

The main evidence for me is the broken (not gnawed) stems above the pepper,
the complete lack of any leavings (like partially eaten fruit), and the fact
that only large, mature-looking fruits are taken. There are plenty of
raccoons in my area - could they be doing this? I'm pretty dubious about the
cottontails, possums, foxes, and coyotes. I think they are either not smart
enough to make such a clean getaway or unlikely to be interested in peppers
in the first place.

thanks
carol