Old 26-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Glenna Rose

Default chelated iron - haven't got any

writes:

I'll sometimes (if feeling charitable) instruct someone how
to search for an answer on the Web. I think a lot of folks
STILL don't know how to do this.

Perhaps a simple fact has been overlooked for this response.

That is: Not everyone who has newsgroup access has web access.

Another bit of information that gets overlooked quite commonly by people
in the United States is that there are many parts of the world that pay by
the minute for their connect time which makes doing web searches very
expensive.

Newsgroup postings can be downloaded and read off line by many readers.
Web searches cannot be downloaded to read off line; they (web pages) must
be accessed individually.

It is unfortunate that someone is scolded for asking a basic question.
After all, any question asked here, regardless of how involved it might
be, is basic to someone. I know I've asked what might be considered basic
questions by "knowledgeable" gardeners but have seen many asked here that
I've known the answer to since childhood.

The main reason I read here and occasionally ask a question is that I want
to know real-life (and real-time) experiences, not just the opinion of
someone who puts up a web page. Conversations here are "customized" and
answers can be clarified which is, after all, the purpose of a
newsgroup/discussion group, isn't it?

Quite frankly, I'm one of those who appreciates the kindness and
generosity of most of those who post here. Sharing knowledge is a
wonderful thing.

As for which the best tasting tomato is; that is, after all, individual.
(I vote for Sun Gold if I can vote for only one; however, again, I have
many, many tomato plants, several new ones . . . again!)

Glenna