Old 26-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Carol Adams

Default Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.

I think it's happening during the day but I'm not 100 percent certain.
However, if it's not an animal, then I *am* very close to 100 percent
certain that it's a worker from the landscaping maintenance company that
mows my turf grass. The peppers are actually red bell peppers, which are
green before they turn red and are exceptionally sweet after they fully
ripen. I mail-ordered the seeds from somewhere last year.

It's mostly just annoying - I hate being robbed, even if it's only a few
peppers - and an issue of honesty. I don't need evidence like a videotape or
PI, just enough of a feeling that I'm right about this guy to speak with the
company's owner (which will almost certainly get the person in question
fired). I've been doing business with this company for more than 20 years
and have never had a problem before this. Hence, the missing pepper problem
is more important to me than would otherwise be the case.

thanks
carol

"Libralove" wrote in message
in article , Carol Adams at
wrote on 5/25/03 6:19 PM:

Back to the pepper theft issue (and thanks for the info on bird netting,

as
I have considered it for other purposes and would never have thought it
could be harmful), does everyone concur with Libralove that it's highly
unlikely that wildlife of some sort has been taking my peppers? I've

wanted
to believe it was wildlife, as the alternative is much more unpleasant.
However, if the thefts are being carried out by a person and not an

animal,
I'm pretty sure I know who it is. I just don't want to confront this

person
if there is any chance animals could be taking my peppers. If not, I am
going to have to bring it up with him.

The main evidence for me is the broken (not gnawed) stems above the

pepper,
the complete lack of any leavings (like partially eaten fruit), and the

fact
that only large, mature-looking fruits are taken. There are plenty of
raccoons in my area - could they be doing this? I'm pretty dubious about

the
cottontails, possums, foxes, and coyotes. I think they are either not

smart
enough to make such a clean getaway or unlikely to be interested in

peppers
in the first place.

thanks
carol

Doubtful. An animal would leave a piece on the ground or a bite off of one
when they hear something and run away. Is it happening at night or during
the day while you are at work? You are talking about green bell peppers?
Nothing else missing? No other signs of critters?

You could rent a closed circuit video system and get one ripe and ready

and
then turn it on during the day. Then have a VHS copy made and mail it

the guy. That would usually stop him without so much as a word spoken.

You could put a bunch of flour on the ground and when one is about ready
then look for tracks or sneaker prints when it is taken.

You could hire a PI and have him sit in your house one day while you drive
off to work.

I would get a bunch of chili pequins or habeneros and put them through the
blender then I would cover the bell peppers with the juice. Of course

after
the first time, he would know to just carefully scrub them with a brush

and
soap to remove the pepper coating.

So... others must have some ideas.... nothing worse than a bloody pepper
thief.