Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Kay Easton

Default Wooden compost bin ventilation

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

I'm inclined to make it closed to keep the heat in. My power tools and
saw are at the ready, any suggestions as to the best construction
methods ?

I too would go down the closed or close boarded route to ensure a good heat
build-up to kill all the weed seeds etc and so the material does not dry
out. Our bin, about 2 Cu Meters, is also lined with polystyrene sheets as
it's in an exposed situation. I have found grey ash in the middle of our
heap!
For air you will need to turn your heap every few weeks so having another
empty bin next to it is a help, introducing air in this way will make good
compost in a couple of months.

Though not turning will also make good compost, though it will take
longer. I always have two heaps filling and one being used. When I have
emptied the heap which is being used, I turn the unrotted part of the
oldest 'filling' heap into it, and have about half a bin of good compost
beneath it waiting to be used.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: