Old 25-05-2003, 07:56 PM
David C

Default Wooden compost bin ventilation

I'm about to make 3 wooden compost bins out of a quantity of left over
decking, plan is each will be about a 1 metre cube with a removable
front and wooden top. They will be in shade behind a shed.

Seems to be two opinions re ventilation, build it with the planks
close together to keep in heat or space them to allow air to circulate
(or even make the back or sides from mesh)

Most of what will be going in will be grass cuttings but other organic
waste will be added for variety (as well as ginuea pig and rabbit
straw and poo!) I also have lots of worms which will be moved from the
current bin.

I'm inclined to make it closed to keep the heat in. My power tools and
saw are at the ready, any suggestions as to the best construction
methods ?

DC
Old 25-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David C
writes
I'm about to make 3 wooden compost bins out of a quantity of left over
decking, plan is each will be about a 1 metre cube with a removable
front and wooden top. They will be in shade behind a shed.

Seems to be two opinions re ventilation, build it with the planks
close together to keep in heat or space them to allow air to circulate
(or even make the back or sides from mesh)

Most of what will be going in will be grass cuttings but other organic
waste will be added for variety (as well as ginuea pig and rabbit
straw and poo!) I also have lots of worms which will be moved from the
current bin.

I'm inclined to make it closed to keep the heat in.

Ours is closed, to keep moisture in. It works well.
You're right about the size, and that you need three (at least!)

You could make the dividing walls between adjacent heaps open.

these will also be the first to rot, as they are permanently damp,
unlike the sides, which are dry on the outside, and get a chance to dry
out altogether when you empty the heap. ours are pretty soft up to about
18 inches after about 10 years, but the sides are still fine.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message
I'm about to make 3 wooden compost bins out of a quantity of left over
decking, plan is each will be about a 1 metre cube with a removable
front and wooden top. They will be in shade behind a shed.

Seems to be two opinions re ventilation, build it with the planks
close together to keep in heat or space them to allow air to circulate
(or even make the back or sides from mesh)

Most of what will be going in will be grass cuttings but other organic
waste will be added for variety (as well as ginuea pig and rabbit
straw and poo!) I also have lots of worms which will be moved from the
current bin.

I'm inclined to make it closed to keep the heat in. My power tools and
saw are at the ready, any suggestions as to the best construction
methods ?

I too would go down the closed or close boarded route to ensure a good heat
build-up to kill all the weed seeds etc and so the material does not dry
out. Our bin, about 2 Cu Meters, is also lined with polystyrene sheets as
it's in an exposed situation. I have found grey ash in the middle of our
heap!
For air you will need to turn your heap every few weeks so having another
empty bin next to it is a help, introducing air in this way will make good
compost in a couple of months.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

I'm inclined to make it closed to keep the heat in. My power tools and
saw are at the ready, any suggestions as to the best construction
methods ?

I too would go down the closed or close boarded route to ensure a good heat
build-up to kill all the weed seeds etc and so the material does not dry
out. Our bin, about 2 Cu Meters, is also lined with polystyrene sheets as
it's in an exposed situation. I have found grey ash in the middle of our
heap!
For air you will need to turn your heap every few weeks so having another
empty bin next to it is a help, introducing air in this way will make good
compost in a couple of months.

Though not turning will also make good compost, though it will take
longer. I always have two heaps filling and one being used. When I have
emptied the heap which is being used, I turn the unrotted part of the
oldest 'filling' heap into it, and have about half a bin of good compost
beneath it waiting to be used.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: