Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Big Al

Default Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

On Saturday my mower died. I jumped off to move the picnic table. As
usual, the engine stopped due to the seat interlock switch (normal and
expected). I moved the tables, jumped back on, disengaged the mower
deck clutch, depressed the main clutch, and the darned thing wouldn't
turn over. I checked the battery - 13 volts ouptput - OK. I checked
the key switch. There were five wires coming in. I found a
combination of a hot and neutral that showed infinite resistance when
off and resistance when on, which I would assume means the key switch
is operating correctly. Hmmmm, next I put the tractor up on ramps and
looked underneath. AhHA! the linkage from the shifter to the clutch
was not connected. I think the cotter pin fell out but couldn't find
it on the lawn. No problem, I inserted a new cotter pin. Thinking
the clutch interlock switch was preventing the tractor from turning
over, I thought the problem was solved. However, again nothing
happened when I turned the key. Any thoughts? My grass is still
growing. Help!