Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Big Al

Default Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

On Saturday my mower died. I jumped off to move the picnic table. As
usual, the engine stopped due to the seat interlock switch (normal and
expected). I moved the tables, jumped back on, disengaged the mower
deck clutch, depressed the main clutch, and the darned thing wouldn't
turn over. I checked the battery - 13 volts ouptput - OK. I checked
the key switch. There were five wires coming in. I found a
combination of a hot and neutral that showed infinite resistance when
off and resistance when on, which I would assume means the key switch
is operating correctly. Hmmmm, next I put the tractor up on ramps and
looked underneath. AhHA! the linkage from the shifter to the clutch
was not connected. I think the cotter pin fell out but couldn't find
it on the lawn. No problem, I inserted a new cotter pin. Thinking
the clutch interlock switch was preventing the tractor from turning
over, I thought the problem was solved. However, again nothing
happened when I turned the key. Any thoughts? My grass is still
growing. Help!
Old 26-05-2003, 08:08 PM
lwr

Big Al wrote:

[...]

Hi - Dunno if this'll help - but sometimes the simplest things can be the cause
of this 'no-apparent-reason' sort of a restart problem - Be sure to double check
the "seat interlock switch" - which could have suddenly 'broken' (failed) when
you sat down again - on top of it? - which would break the starting circuit -
maybe? - Just a thought. - Wes/MO

Old 26-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Nonya

As a temporary measure, you can disconnect the seat switch and insert a
piece of wire (IE a paper clip) and see if it will turn over then. If not,
it could be one of the other interlock switches. I know I had a problem with
mine, and thought it was the seat switch. But it turned out to be the
interlock for the engine cover. Good luck,
om...

Old 27-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Tim B

If you are in the habit of jumping off a moving lawnmower I would not defeat
the interlock switch even temporarily.

"Nonya" wrote in message
As a temporary measure, you can disconnect the seat switch and insert a
piece of wire (IE a paper clip) and see if it will turn over then. If not,
it could be one of the other interlock switches. I know I had a problem

with
mine, and thought it was the seat switch. But it turned out to be the
interlock for the engine cover. Good luck,
om...

Old 27-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Warren

Tim B wrote:
If you are in the habit of jumping off a moving lawnmower I would not

defeat
the interlock switch even temporarily.

Since the suggestion you're reacting to was to bypass it for testing
purposes, I'm curious as to how you would troubleshoot a bad switch if
you're so against defeating the interlock switch even temporarily?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 27-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"Warren" wrote in message
Tim B wrote:
If you are in the habit of jumping off a moving lawnmower I would not

defeat
the interlock switch even temporarily.

Since the suggestion you're reacting to was to bypass it for testing
purposes, I'm curious as to how you would troubleshoot a bad switch if
you're so against defeating the interlock switch even temporarily?

Wish and hope? :-) This is why some people aren't mechanics.