Old 26-05-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Pond odor

somewhere there is hydrogen sulfide escaping, and that could be the cause of the dead
of a single fish. they are sucking around rocks or something and got a big gill
full. do you have gravel on the bottom? have you mucked the bottom out? It should
not smell like a sewer, not good for the fish. ahhh.. do you have aeration in there?
Ingrid

"Jackytar" wrote:
My wife and I notice a sewer smell when we get close to the water in our
fish pond... as in bend over with our noses just over the water or when we
get in there and stir things up. The plants and fish seem healthy, and the
water is clear, although we found one dead fish today (out of about 20). The
pond is about 1000 gallons (my estimate) and 3 yrs old with a
skimmer/pump/filter/auto filler set up. I must admit we haven't been adding
the "aquaclear" bacteria powder or cleaning the filter very often (about
once every 2 weeks). We have an overabundance of water hyacinth right now
that we are thinning out.

Thanks,
Jacky