Old 26-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Jackytar

Default Pond odor

My wife and I notice a sewer smell when we get close to the water in our
fish pond... as in bend over with our noses just over the water or when we
get in there and stir things up. The plants and fish seem healthy, and the
water is clear, although we found one dead fish today (out of about 20). The
pond is about 1000 gallons (my estimate) and 3 yrs old with a
skimmer/pump/filter/auto filler set up. I must admit we haven't been adding
the "aquaclear" bacteria powder or cleaning the filter very often (about
once every 2 weeks). We have an overabundance of water hyacinth right now
that we are thinning out.

Thanks,
Jacky

Old 26-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Jackytar

There was supposed to be a question in there...
Is the odor normal?

Thanks,
Jacky

Old 26-05-2003, 05:08 PM

somewhere there is hydrogen sulfide escaping, and that could be the cause of the dead
of a single fish. they are sucking around rocks or something and got a big gill
full. do you have gravel on the bottom? have you mucked the bottom out? It should
not smell like a sewer, not good for the fish. ahhh.. do you have aeration in there?
Ingrid

Old 26-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Nedra

I suggest a clean out of the filter and a 10% to 15% water change.
... right now!

You should not have a sewer smell in the pond.

Nedra

Old 26-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Jackytar

Yes, gravel on the bottom. You can see the gravel, not too much muck down
there.
I have a waterfall - river - waterfall for aeration.
I have noticed the fish sucking around the rocks.
Jacky

Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Jackytar

I also noticed today that the pump was a little choked up with debris and I
was only getting maybe 30% flow. I fixed this which dropped the water level
about an inch because of the added inflow. The auto filler kicked in
providing maybe 5-7% fresh water to the pond. When the pump gets choked up I
do get some muck on my riverbed. I cleaned the filter today (very dirty) and
will clean it again tomorrow and the next day if necessary. I've learned one
lesson... clean every week!

Thank you both for your replies. Where is the hydrogen sulfide coming from?
Rotting debris?

Jacky

thlink.net...

Old 27-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Nedra

Jacky, a 7% input of water isn't nearly enough. You need to
do a 15 to 20% water change. To do this drop a submersible
pump to the bottom of the pond. Be sure to pump out the
required amount. Add tap water slowly. Add Dechlor to treat the chlorine ...
if you have chloramine then add Amquel.

Also where is the debris?
You shouldn't have any debris collecting anywhere in the pond.

Nedra

"Jackytar" wrote in message
I also noticed today that the pump was a little choked up with debris and

was only getting maybe 30% flow. I fixed this which dropped the water

level
about an inch because of the added inflow. The auto filler kicked in
providing maybe 5-7% fresh water to the pond. When the pump gets choked up

do get some muck on my riverbed. I cleaned the filter today (very dirty)

and
will clean it again tomorrow and the next day if necessary. I've learned

one
lesson... clean every week!

Thank you both for your replies. Where is the hydrogen sulfide coming

from?
Rotting debris?

Jacky

thlink.net...

Old 27-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Jackytar

I don't see any debris, except what I cleaned out of the skimmer net.
Where did the hydrogen sulfide come from?
And what purpose does a 10-15% water change serve other than to dilute the
pond water? Not doubting your advice... I'm pumping the pond at this moment.
Just curious about the rationale behind this and, most importantly, how to
prevent this from happing again.

Thanks,
Jacky

thlink.net...

"Jackytar" wrote in message
I also noticed today that the pump was a little choked up with debris

and
was only getting maybe 30% flow. I fixed this which dropped the water

level
about an inch because of the added inflow. The auto filler kicked in
providing maybe 5-7% fresh water to the pond. When the pump gets choked

up
do get some muck on my riverbed. I cleaned the filter today (very dirty)

and
will clean it again tomorrow and the next day if necessary. I've learned

one
lesson... clean every week!

Thank you both for your replies. Where is the hydrogen sulfide coming

from?
Rotting debris?

Jacky

thlink.net...

Old 27-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Nedra

But you just said you had debris in the pond ...??
Since I can't make a trip out to your pond I would guess that
the hydrogen sulfide is coming from a plant that is in dirt...
or perhaps from under the gravel??

The water changes dilute pond water... takes the 'older'
water from the bottom of the pond and empties it on a garden
or lawn where ever you wish. Fresher water is pumped in ...
You can check with www.koivet.com to get the scientific
rationale for doing water changes. I'm sure Doc Johnson has
water changes noted.

Nedra

"Jackytar" wrote in message
I don't see any debris, except what I cleaned out of the skimmer net.
Where did the hydrogen sulfide come from?
And what purpose does a 10-15% water change serve other than to dilute the
pond water? Not doubting your advice... I'm pumping the pond at this

moment.
Just curious about the rationale behind this and, most importantly, how to
prevent this from happing again.

Thanks,
Jacky

thlink.net...

"Jackytar" wrote in message
[...]

thlink.net...

Old 27-05-2003, 04:09 AM
GD

Anaerobic breakdown of organic debris causes most of the odor you
describe. Aeration should solve the problem. Get air to the deepest
parts of the pond to ensure circulation of oxygenated water at the
bottom, where the source of the stench exists. Your waterfall is not
doing this for you.

Old 27-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Jackytar

The pond has many plants in and around it so there is always *some* debris,
but none that you would find in concentrated amounts. Thanks for the
excellent link... there was an article there on water changes, with a
rationale to boot, though not directly related to my current problem. The
Koivet recommends a 10% water change every week. We bought this house with
pond up and running last October. I had a girl from one of the local
nurseries come to my home to teach me about my pond and upkeep. One thing I
clearly remember her saying was not to change the water... something about
disturbing a delicate balance. Oh well... who knew? The Koivet also
recommends to do a 60-70% water change 3-4 times a year! This actually makes
more sense to me. Thanks for your help... Jacky

news

"Jackytar" wrote in message
I don't see any debris, except what I cleaned out of the skimmer net.
Where did the hydrogen sulfide come from?
And what purpose does a 10-15% water change serve other than to dilute

the
pond water? Not doubting your advice... I'm pumping the pond at this

moment.
Just curious about the rationale behind this and, most importantly, how

prevent this from happing again.

Thanks,
Jacky

thlink.net...

"Jackytar" wrote in message
[...]

thlink.net...

Old 27-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Jackytar

Interesting... but it begs the question... how is this aeration achieved?
I'm guessing there is a device like you would find in a fish tank? Or would
my newfound belief in water changes be enough. Thanks, Jacky.

Old 27-05-2003, 06:32 AM

when you drop an airstone into the water (I got the smallest
Swee****er® Regenerative blower)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...ystems&eflag=2

with a foot long airstone. other people use smaller air pumps with smaller air
stones. when it is dropped into the water it blows air into the water, this creates
lift that pulls water from below as well and creates circulation from bottom to top.
they actually sell air lifts that do this even better. but with bare bottom ponds
(no gravel), the combination of the air stones, the pumps pulling water (pumps always
must be at least a foot off the bottom) and the fish moving along the bottom stirring
things up leads to the mulm and organic stuff getting moved into the filter. combine
this with BZT that eats up organics and the bottom stays clean (I net my pond and so
there is no more than 1/4 inch of mulm on the bottom after 3 years.
now... the breakdown of organic matter occurs with and without oxygen. it is slow
and incomplete and makes toxic gases if there isnt enough oxygen (this is where oil
comes from). but add good aeration and those little biobugs chomp down and convert
to clean CO2 and H2O.
I would highly recommend you get the gravel outta there. it is just loading up with
organics and once covered in goo there isnt any biobugs doing their thing down there
anyway. Ingrid

Old 27-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Pinkpggy

There was supposed to be a question in there...
Is the odor normal?

Thanks,
Jacky

What kind of odor. bad or just a odor? If its a bad odor, than something isn't
right. Our pond kind of smells like a mountain stream, fishy and clean. LOL
Jan
Old 29-05-2003, 11:56 PM
mad

did you say you have rocks on the bottom of your pond? some have found that
plant matter gets caught between the rocks and rots there. then when the
fish nose around in it, they get big whiffs of gas. the gas rises to the
surface and you smell it, too. if it was me i'd get rid of the rocks little
by little. i don't have any in my pond. its true that they do look nice for
a while, but then algae grows over them and you can't see them anyway.
mad
--
"I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains
fall out."

From: "Jackytar"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 03:44:28 GMT
Subject: Pond odor

The pond has many plants in and around it so there is always *some* debris,
but none that you would find in concentrated amounts. Thanks for the
excellent link... there was an article there on water changes, with a
rationale to boot, though not directly related to my current problem. The
Koivet recommends a 10% water change every week. We bought this house with
pond up and running last October. I had a girl from one of the local
nurseries come to my home to teach me about my pond and upkeep. One thing I
clearly remember her saying was not to change the water... something about
disturbing a delicate balance. Oh well... who knew? The Koivet also
recommends to do a 60-70% water change 3-4 times a year! This actually makes
more sense to me. Thanks for your help... Jacky

news

"Jackytar" wrote in message
I don't see any debris, except what I cleaned out of the skimmer net.
Where did the hydrogen sulfide come from?
And what purpose does a 10-15% water change serve other than to dilute

the
pond water? Not doubting your advice... I'm pumping the pond at this

moment.
Just curious about the rationale behind this and, most importantly, how

prevent this from happing again.

Thanks,
Jacky

thlink.net...

"Jackytar" wrote in message
[...]

thlink.net...

"Jackytar" wrote:
[...]

Geraniums odor Phisherman[_3_] Gardening 4 08-03-2009 09:48 AM
Hagen Natural Plant System odor: / was CO-2 injection into a canister filter. Squid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 15-05-2004 05:09 PM
Skunk odor Ed Schmitt Gardening 6 11-08-2003 06:07 AM
Odor detected today jammer Ponds 3 14-07-2003 12:42 AM
Pond odor follow up Jackytar Ponds 10 02-06-2003 03:08 AM