Old 26-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Rambling rose

The message
from "Tom Warner" contains these words:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Generally budded onto a rootstock by the bigger growers, but its usually
Rosa multiflora (normally the thornless form) rather than the Rosa laxa
stock used for bush roses. smaller growers will often use cuttings.
So if the original posters rose has fine green foliage, no thorns and a
profussion of white scented flowers - its the rootstock!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

The rose is 18 inches high and already has a fine collection of thorns, so
probably not the rootstock.
Anyone like to address my original question?
Tips on training/pruning please.

We don't really have enough information for that, Tom; different
ramblers and climbers require different treatment and nobody can guess
what rose yours is until it flowers.

IME, rootstock suckers from elderly roses often do have thorns, because
someone budded a slip onto a dogrose rootstock they dug from a hedgerow,
in days when very little else was available.

Janet.