Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Cass

Default Royal Amethyst

In article C3rza.695820$OV.650026@rwcrnsc54, JimS.
wrote:

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.f0668bf5cafadb6e1a55bd8d449fa0b7 @1053701080.cotse.net...
torgo wrote:

Oooh, by all means keep us posted on how this one turns out !

Sure will, thanks.

It has been interesting watching the crop of S&W bare roots develop under
identical cultivation practices. In general, the bigger bare roots with
the most canes and longest roots did the best, no surprise. One exception
is Joseph's Coat, which was a big burly bare root but is taking its sweet
time.

This tracks with the experience of my Joseph's Coat too. It's growing, it's
blooming, the blooms look really nice. But it's not thundering forward,
like many of my other roses. At least in Seattle (and it sounds like where
you are) Joseph's Coat is just not a real fast grower.

I don't think it's a particularly big climber, despite that picture in
all the book, showing it growing to the second story in England.