Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Michael Shaffer

Default Making pumphouse

The box you're using looks big enough that it would dissipate the heat
before it got really hot inside.. Just my guess though.

Ted wrote:
The pump feels warm to the touch but I have not had any problems with it.
To me it feels like about what a motor usually puts off it heat. We live in
the Houston area so it gets pretty hot here in the summer.
Where the power cord enters the side of the box under the lip where the
lid attaches there is a hole I did not fill as it seems to not get water in
it. I had considered adding some more holes for ventilation as the lid lip
keeps them out of them rain.
The other holes I am going to redo and put in bulkhead fittings so they will
seal, these are at ground level or slightly below.

Lisa

"Eric Hanson" wrote in message
m...

Ted,

I checked out your website. Nice pond! I have a question regarding the
rubbermaid container, though. Sequence recommends that the pump have
adequate ventilation to prevent motor/pump overheating. Is that
rubbermaid container totally sealed? And either way, have you found
that the pump stays cool and gets proper air circulation in hot
weather using the rubbermaid container? I just received my Sequence
1000 this week and need to build something for it.

A suggestion... It seems to me you are using plumbers putty where the
pipes enter/exit the housing. Have you tried silicone? I would imagine
that would last quite a while.

--
Eric Hanson
http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

"Ted" wrote in message

m...

I ran into the problem that with my pump and a priming pot it was way to

big

for any of the irrigation boxes. I used a rubbermaid container. The

lid

snaps on and off easily and keeps the rain out (and we have some hard

rain

in Texas). I put the hoses right through the sides and it has worked

very

well. One retro fit I will make this year is to do bulkhead fittings

(from

the pool store) in the box sides and then glue my PVC lines into them.

Right

now I ran them through the sides and used plumbers putty, but due to the
temp I have to put new putty on occasionally as it hardens and cracks.

You can see it at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001