Old 24-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Making pumphouse

Hey, anybody have any tips on building a pumphouse? I found one on
aquaart.com that looks good but not big enough. I was thinking of making
my own with some concrete. Has anybody else tried this?

Thanks
Mike

Old 24-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Hey, anybody have any tips on building a pumphouse? I found one on
aquaart.com that looks good but not big enough. I was thinking of making
my own with some concrete. Has anybody else tried this?

Thanks
Mike

Depends on how big the pumps are, but you might have a look a irrigation
boxes at Home Depot.

jay
Sat, May 24, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Sat, May 24, 2003

Old 25-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Ted

I ran into the problem that with my pump and a priming pot it was way to big
for any of the irrigation boxes. I used a rubbermaid container. The lid
snaps on and off easily and keeps the rain out (and we have some hard rain
in Texas). I put the hoses right through the sides and it has worked very
well. One retro fit I will make this year is to do bulkhead fittings (from
the pool store) in the box sides and then glue my PVC lines into them. Right
now I ran them through the sides and used plumbers putty, but due to the
temp I have to put new putty on occasionally as it hardens and cracks.

You can see it at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001

Old 25-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Eric Hanson

Ted,

I checked out your website. Nice pond! I have a question regarding the
rubbermaid container, though. Sequence recommends that the pump have
adequate ventilation to prevent motor/pump overheating. Is that
rubbermaid container totally sealed? And either way, have you found
that the pump stays cool and gets proper air circulation in hot
weather using the rubbermaid container? I just received my Sequence
1000 this week and need to build something for it.

A suggestion... It seems to me you are using plumbers putty where the
pipes enter/exit the housing. Have you tried silicone? I would imagine
that would last quite a while.

--
Eric Hanson
http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

Old 26-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Ted

The pump feels warm to the touch but I have not had any problems with it.
To me it feels like about what a motor usually puts off it heat. We live in
the Houston area so it gets pretty hot here in the summer.
Where the power cord enters the side of the box under the lip where the
lid attaches there is a hole I did not fill as it seems to not get water in
it. I had considered adding some more holes for ventilation as the lid lip
keeps them out of them rain.
The other holes I am going to redo and put in bulkhead fittings so they will
seal, these are at ground level or slightly below.

Lisa

"Eric Hanson" wrote in message
m...
Ted,

I checked out your website. Nice pond! I have a question regarding the
rubbermaid container, though. Sequence recommends that the pump have
adequate ventilation to prevent motor/pump overheating. Is that
rubbermaid container totally sealed? And either way, have you found
that the pump stays cool and gets proper air circulation in hot
weather using the rubbermaid container? I just received my Sequence
1000 this week and need to build something for it.

A suggestion... It seems to me you are using plumbers putty where the
pipes enter/exit the housing. Have you tried silicone? I would imagine
that would last quite a while.

--
Eric Hanson
http://www.pobox.com/~ehanson/aquaria_pond.html

m...

Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Michael Shaffer

The box you're using looks big enough that it would dissipate the heat
before it got really hot inside.. Just my guess though.

Ted wrote:
[...]

m...

Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Ted

Your probably right, I didnt think about that. The pump and priming pot by
no means takes up much room in there!

Ted wrote:
[...]

m...