Old 27-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Libralove

Default Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.

in article , Joe Doe at
wrote on 5/26/03 8:46 PM:

In article , Libralove
wrote:

The issue here is not "ugly" and "cost". The issue here is the horrible
deaths some birds and critters can suffer if they become ensnared and you
are not right there to release them. That issue includes people trying to
grow peppers and tomatoes.

I find it interesting that someone who has a great concern for wildlife is
willing to believe the worst about ones fellow man! You entered the
thread suggesting that Carol was right to believe that somebody was
pilfering her peppers. I entered in defense of my species to point out
birds can clear a tree of hundreds of fruit. My faith rests with my
fellow man and certainly doubt her landscaper is pilfering them. Carol
seems certain it is a thief because there is lack of evidence of half
eaten peppers. I in fact very seldom see any trace of fruit - it is only
on the rare occasion that I see half eaten fruit on the tree, which tipped
me off.

Daammmnnn, you got some big ol' birds over there, if they can cleanly twist
off a stem of a nearly ripe bell pepper and carry it away. I think this
requires a "full-grown man scarecrow" in your yard, full-time!

If it were pequins, habbeneros or jalapenos, I might hold off and wait for
that half eaten one, but these are bells, dude.

Carol says that only ripe peppers are picked - that is because
the birds are attracted to the bright red color. As you suggest they are
also attracted to tomatoes and on the gardensweb tomato forum several
participants pick the fruit when it is just beginning to turn color
because they do not want to risk loss to the birds (cannot do this for
figs because they do not ripen off the tree). Lastly, the landscaper
would have to have a death wish (wrt to his/her job) if he crudely breaks
off peppers - any self-respecting human thief would not leave too many
clues. A bird or other wildlife simply grabs the fruit to the best of
their ability and if a stem is crudely broken so be it.

Yep, that is why we figured it was a human -- no crudely broken stems or
parts. And people who are hungry or selfish do not think the gardener will
notice, are capable of cleanly removing a bell pepper. My parents had a
little vegetable plot in a condo community and their tomatoes and peppers
were always being stolen. We used to watch the neighbors harvesting for
their evening meal.

For the gardensweb take on this see:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...473529234.html

Yes, I have seen Jays and Mockingbirds sitting in my chili pequin bush
knockin' them back, but have never seen them take a whole bell pepper as was
disappearing cleanly off Carol's bush.

Gee, you too know how to research on the internet. Good job, Roland.

For an evolutionary take on the link between birds and peppers see:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0726103553.htm

Dave DeWitt who has written numerous books on fiery foods has this to say
about the numerous other possible pests (first few paras in the link
provided):
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/pests1.asp

For the Aggie take on it see answer 13 at:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p.../animalpe.html

For the New Zealand organic take on it see the section on pests at:
http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastis...c02/pepper.htm

On to the issue of bird nets causing unnecessary pain and suffering:
there is a bird net installed in my building at work for the last 3 years
to prevent birds from roosting in the light fixtures. Over this time not
a single bird has been ensnared.

And you are there everyday to make sure of it. Right, dude?

Netting is installed on thousands of
orchards and buildings. Birds also die when they fly into windows.
Nobody suggests eliminating windows.

The owner of your office building can kill birds by hanging bird netting if
he wants to, but I prefer not to watch animals, reptiles and birds die a
horrible death tangled up in webbing in my backyard.

Thank you, Mr. Sunshine. Best -- LL

Roland