Old 27-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default grass clipping as mulch?

In article ,
i_never_tan writes:
| Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
| My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
| plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
| you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
| prevent weeds. All I know, is I have a big patch of green. Would
| this be harmful to my tomato plants? Last summer my tomatoes didn't
| do too well. We had a terrible drought here in New England, and the
| hot sun baked everything even though I watered. Thanks for any
| advice.

It would almost certainly do better with you than with us, because
the clippings will dry out and insulate the ground. Here, in the
cold, wet summers we have had for a couple of years and look like
getting this year, they just rot into a slimy mess - and, anyway,
our problems are different :-(

It works even here in dry years, incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.