Old 27-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Max Wright

Default How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin?

In message , Ednews
writes
Hello all,

Can you please help with my sick pumpkin plant - yellow leaves, green veins
etc figure it must be mag. Deficiency. Now, I've bought the epsom salts,
but they only have dosing information for humans and not our vegetable
friends.

How much should I give a pumpkin in a grow bag?

Ta.

Ed.

I've never actually used Epsom salts but I do have a packet of the
horticultural variety - don't know if it's exactly the same; analysis
quoted as 16.5% magnesium oxide - the instructions for which say
"dissolve 70 gms (2.5 oz) in 9 litres (2 galls) of water and spray
directly onto plants." Of course that doesn't tell you how much to use
per plant, but as an alternative to spraying you can "scatter 20 gms per
sq m (0.5 oz per sq yd) over bed and lightly hoe in. Ensure that
coverage is evenly spread between the plants. Ensure that none of the
plant food granules are actually touching the plant stems." You're
advised not to use higher concentrations and to "water in well after
applying. Do not apply in sunny conditions."

Of course it might not be magnesium deficiency - have other plants grown
in the same place shown similar symptoms?

HTH
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop