Old 27-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Ednews

Default How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin?

Hello all,

Can you please help with my sick pumpkin plant - yellow leaves, green veins
etc figure it must be mag. Deficiency. Now, I've bought the epsom salts,
but they only have dosing information for humans and not our vegetable
friends.

How much should I give a pumpkin in a grow bag?

Ta.

Ed.

Old 27-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Max Wright

In message , Ednews
writes
Hello all,

Can you please help with my sick pumpkin plant - yellow leaves, green veins
etc figure it must be mag. Deficiency. Now, I've bought the epsom salts,
but they only have dosing information for humans and not our vegetable
friends.

How much should I give a pumpkin in a grow bag?

Ta.

Ed.

I've never actually used Epsom salts but I do have a packet of the
horticultural variety - don't know if it's exactly the same; analysis
quoted as 16.5% magnesium oxide - the instructions for which say
"dissolve 70 gms (2.5 oz) in 9 litres (2 galls) of water and spray
directly onto plants." Of course that doesn't tell you how much to use
per plant, but as an alternative to spraying you can "scatter 20 gms per
sq m (0.5 oz per sq yd) over bed and lightly hoe in. Ensure that
coverage is evenly spread between the plants. Ensure that none of the
plant food granules are actually touching the plant stems." You're
advised not to use higher concentrations and to "water in well after
applying. Do not apply in sunny conditions."

Of course it might not be magnesium deficiency - have other plants grown
in the same place shown similar symptoms?

HTH
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 27-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Ednews

On 27/5/03 9:03 am, in article ,
"Max Wright" wrote:

www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Thanks Max - human form is magnesium sulphate 100% - might abandon this idea
and go and buy some from the garden centre! didn't know you could buy plant
form stuff.

It's in a grow bag (new) so I'd be surprised if it had any disease from
that... But having said that I've not got much experience (none) so it could
be anything.

Ed.

Old 27-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Ron

Ed,

I've always used a teaspoonful of Epsom salts to a half litre of water in
one of those handheld sprayer bottles for a foliar spray and have never had
problems.

However, I've just checked the RHS gardening book and it gives 210 gms to 10
litres. As I do not have a sprayer bottle that big (!) I weighed a spoonful
of the stuff I use (from a chemist's) it weighed about 5 grammes therefore
I'm under applying it to my plants but that's better than too much.

Regards

Geoff

Old 27-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Ednews
writes
Hello all,

Can you please help with my sick pumpkin plant - yellow leaves, green veins
etc figure it must be mag. Deficiency. Now, I've bought the epsom salts,
but they only have dosing information for humans and not our vegetable
friends.

Your description of the pumpkin's progress sounds more like temperature
than magnesium deficiency to me. It may cheer up with warmer weather.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 28-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 27/5/03 9:03 am, "Max Wright"
wrote:

16.5% magnesium oxide

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:53:42 +0100, Ednews wrote:

magnesium sulphate 100%

The first is a formal (or equivalent) analysis, the second the
actual analysis, but I'm pretty sure they are in full agreement
and describe precisely the same substance.

Nutrients in fertilizers are not reported directly, but as if
they were in a certain state of chemical combination. This allows
comparison of, say, the phosphorus content of different
fertilizers regardless of the actual state of chemical
combination of the phosphorus in them. For magnesium it would
appear that the reference state is sometimes anhydrous magnesium
oxide, MgO.

The difference between the two percentage figures is due to the
presence in epsom salts of sulfur and additional oxygen atoms,
plus water of crystallization, relative to pure anhydrous
magnesium oxide. These have the effect of "diluting" the content.

MgO = magnesium oxide

MgSO4 + (H2O)n = magnesium sulfate, or epsom salts.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 28-05-2003, 12:56 AM
David Hill

I would put half a level teaspoon into a glass of water, then using a fine
mist spray, spray the leaves to give it a foliar feed.
Should show some effect in a few days.
IF
If it is Magnesium deficiency, have you thought of Cucumber mosaic virus?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Ednews

On 28/5/03 12:48 am, in article , "David
Hill" wrote:

I would put half a level teaspoon into a glass of water, then using a fine
mist spray, spray the leaves to give it a foliar feed.
Should show some effect in a few days.
IF
If it is Magnesium deficiency, have you thought of Cucumber mosaic virus?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Thanks all for advice- David - I've never _heard_ of cumcumber mosaic virus
- what is that? How would I know if I've got it?

Ed

Old 28-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ednews writes:

| Thanks all for advice- David - I've never _heard_ of cumcumber mosaic virus
| - what is that? How would I know if I've got it?

You will have an awful lot of very puzzled doctors round your
bedside!

It is a common virus of cucurbits, usually spread by aphids, and
causes yellow mottling, crinkling and other distortion of the
leaves, shoots and fruit. Once the plant gets it badly, the
leaves don't grow to full size and fruit rarely sets or swells.
There is no cure, and affected plants should be dug up and
disposed of before aphids can spread the disease further.

Despite claims, I don't think that it can be spread through
compost, but I don't know how it overwinters.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:53:42 +0100, Ednews
wrote:

On 27/5/03 9:03 am, in article ,
"Max Wright" wrote:

www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Thanks Max - human form is magnesium sulphate 100% - might abandon this idea
and go and buy some from the garden centre! didn't know you could buy plant
form stuff.

It's in a grow bag (new) so I'd be surprised if it had any disease from
that... But having said that I've not got much experience (none) so it could
be anything.

Ed.

Magnesium sulphate heptahydrate (Epsom Salts), which is what you have,
contains 16.4% magnesium oxide (MgO), which is what Max was quoting.
Follow Max's directions for dilution and you'll be OK.

--
Chris

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Ednews

On 28/5/03 1:13 pm, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Ednews writes:

| Thanks all for advice- David - I've never _heard_ of cumcumber mosaic virus
| - what is that? How would I know if I've got it?

You will have an awful lot of very puzzled doctors round your
bedside!

It is a common virus of cucurbits, usually spread by aphids, and
causes yellow mottling, crinkling and other distortion of the
leaves, shoots and fruit. Once the plant gets it badly, the
leaves don't grow to full size and fruit rarely sets or swells.
There is no cure, and affected plants should be dug up and
disposed of before aphids can spread the disease further.

Despite claims, I don't think that it can be spread through
compost, but I don't know how it overwinters.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Cheers Nick,

So, if I've got large leaves, with more on the way, but the leaves are
yellowing from the edges, with green veins, then it's not likely to be this
virus is it?

Ed.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Ednews

On 28/5/03 6:08 pm, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:53:42 +0100, Ednews
wrote:

On 27/5/03 9:03 am, in article ,
"Max Wright" wrote:

www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Thanks Max - human form is magnesium sulphate 100% - might abandon this idea
and go and buy some from the garden centre! didn't know you could buy plant
form stuff.

It's in a grow bag (new) so I'd be surprised if it had any disease from
that... But having said that I've not got much experience (none) so it could
be anything.

Ed.

Magnesium sulphate heptahydrate (Epsom Salts), which is what you have,
contains 16.4% magnesium oxide (MgO), which is what Max was quoting.
Follow Max's directions for dilution and you'll be OK.

Thanks Mike and Chris. I will try a bit of spraying tonight!

Ed.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ednews wrote:

So, if I've got large leaves, with more on the way, but the leaves are
yellowing from the edges, with green veins, then it's not likely to be this
virus is it?

I should have said it was unlikely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

epsom salts victory ed Roses 1 28-04-2004 08:04 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 1 18-10-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM