Old 27-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Kay Easton

Default Ants in the compost?

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
I have an ants nest in my compost bin. Does this have any affect on the
natural process? For example, do the ants keep the worms etc. at bay and
stop the process?

No, but it's an indication that the compost is too dry. If your compost
was moist enough, you wouldn't have ants.

If yes, any suggestions for moving them? I've turned to entire heap and
they very dilligently rebuilt the nest, including scouring the environs for
eggs and pupae disturbed by the process.

Water the heap! If you gte it moist enough, they'll move of their own
accord.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: