Old 27-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default Ants in the compost?

I have an ants nest in my compost bin. Does this have any affect on the
natural process? For example, do the ants keep the worms etc. at bay and
stop the process?

If yes, any suggestions for moving them? I've turned to entire heap and
they very dilligently rebuilt the nest, including scouring the environs for
eggs and pupae disturbed by the process.

Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 27-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Paul D.Smith" writes:
| I have an ants nest in my compost bin. Does this have any affect on the
| natural process? For example, do the ants keep the worms etc. at bay and
| stop the process?
|
| If yes, any suggestions for moving them? I've turned to entire heap and
| they very dilligently rebuilt the nest, including scouring the environs for
| eggs and pupae disturbed by the process.

No. All it indicates is that the heap is a bit too dry. Keep it
a bit wetter, and it will compost better and have fewer ants and
woodlice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
I have an ants nest in my compost bin. Does this have any affect on the
natural process? For example, do the ants keep the worms etc. at bay and
stop the process?

No, but it's an indication that the compost is too dry. If your compost
was moist enough, you wouldn't have ants.

If yes, any suggestions for moving them? I've turned to entire heap and
they very dilligently rebuilt the nest, including scouring the environs for
eggs and pupae disturbed by the process.

Water the heap! If you gte it moist enough, they'll move of their own
accord.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Paul D.Smith

Interesting. It always seems too wet to me as it is mainly kitchen waste
with not always enough "bulk" material to offset the natual wetness of osggy
lettuce leaves and dying fruit (not too much citrus now ;-) ). Maybe I
should re-evaluate my idea of "wet and dry". I suppose I should start by
asking how I judge the "wetness" of a compost heap? It sure sticks together
well and isn't "straight out of the bag potting compost" dry and crumbly.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

Old 27-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Drakanthus

Interesting. It always seems too wet to me as it is mainly kitchen waste
with not always enough "bulk" material to offset the natual wetness of

osggy
lettuce leaves and dying fruit (not too much citrus now ;-) ). Maybe I
should re-evaluate my idea of "wet and dry". I suppose I should start by
asking how I judge the "wetness" of a compost heap? It sure sticks

together
well and isn't "straight out of the bag potting compost" dry and crumbly.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

My compost is mainly kitchen waste and grass clippings. I use several 360
Litre composters and during the Summer soak each bin with 2 Gallons of
water, plus homemade activator :-) every few days. I often have compost
ready to dig into the vegetable plot within two months in hot weather!
I know the compost is doing well when I take the lid off - I get a face full
of steam!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)