Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default How to replant a nepenthes/pticher plant?

In article ,
"Jo" writes:
| Hi,
| I have a rather top-heavy nepenthes (pitcher plant) which I want to replant
| into a hanging basket, so that the pitchers don't pull the existing pot over
| anymore...
|
| Do I need special soil? I read somewhere they need a lot of moss? Or can I
| just use ericaceous compost (as I believe they like acid soil)? And are they
| safe to handle whilst repotting?
|
| (As you may have guessed, I've only had this plant for a few weeks...bit of
| a newbie with carnivorous plants!)
|
| I have had to make the hanging basket myself (as I couldnt find one anywhere
| in the shops!) and as it will be indoors, I have chosen a self-watering pot
| which is sealed, so no drips in the house, but I am concerned that it will
| get too soggy...although it does have a bung in case of overfill!
|
| All advice much appreciated, I am really enthusiatic about this lovely plant
| and don't want to kill it!

Well, I don't know much about them, but my guess is that they would
prefer 50/50 lawn moss and peat, and for it to be kept sodden! The
point is that I think they like similar conditions to our native
Pinguicula and Drosera, where that is what they are adapted to.
I suggest checking up with someone who knows more, but they are
quite extreme in their requirements.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.