Old 27-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Penny S.

Default Aphids on maple, is it sick?

We have a little maple that was a volunteer that we moved several years
ago, it grew beautifully. Last year we pruned it a bit to encourage some
branching, again it did beautifully. This year oneof the kids got kind of
wild and broke one of the main side shoots at the top "y" off, and we had to
re prune to lower what ought to be a new "y" as the tree got pretty
damaged... the whole thing is pretty young, only 5-6 years, maybe 1.5- 2"
main trunk at the base. After this last trauma, there is now aphids and
the leaves look a little sick, I am assuming that the tree got stressed and
is not happy. I can post photos if needed, any thoughts on helping it
recover? BTW, there are ants herding the aphids too.

thanks all

Penny S