Old 27-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Penny S.

Default Aphids on maple, is it sick?

We have a little maple that was a volunteer that we moved several years
ago, it grew beautifully. Last year we pruned it a bit to encourage some
branching, again it did beautifully. This year oneof the kids got kind of
wild and broke one of the main side shoots at the top "y" off, and we had to
re prune to lower what ought to be a new "y" as the tree got pretty
damaged... the whole thing is pretty young, only 5-6 years, maybe 1.5- 2"
main trunk at the base. After this last trauma, there is now aphids and
the leaves look a little sick, I am assuming that the tree got stressed and
is not happy. I can post photos if needed, any thoughts on helping it
recover? BTW, there are ants herding the aphids too.

thanks all

Penny S

Old 27-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

The plant looks sick because the aphids are literally sucking the sap out of
the plant and not because of any other presumed "trauma".

The ants probably put the aphids on your plant.

You can use an insecticide to kill the aphids but since the plant is still
small, you can just as easily remove them by wiping them off the plant with
a sponge or cloth soaked in soapy water.

Getting rid of the ants is another problem.

Old 27-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Iris Cohen

we had to re prune to lower what ought to be a new "y" as the tree got
pretty damaged... the whole thing is pretty young, only 5-6 years,

You never want a y shaped fork on a tree. This is weak & will break in a storm.
Always prune so there is one main trunk & the branches are at right angles.

there is now aphids and the leaves look a little sick, I am assuming that
the tree got stressed and is not happy.

Feed it. You can get fertilizer sticks that you pound into the ground. Spray
for the aphids.

there are ants herding the aphids too

Not much you can do outdoors, as the insecticides for ants are very potent. If
you see anthills at a few noticeable locations, you can try using ant traps if
you can make sure the kids don't touch them. You can probably keep the ants &
aphids at bay by repeated spraying with a strong jet of water, if it doesn't
damage the tree.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IMG] code is On

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Gardening 25 05-08-2007 07:19 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 31-07-2007 08:36 PM
Aphids & Maple Trees cover Gardening 3 30-03-2005 05:01 AM
Aphids & Maple Trees cover Lawns 1 30-03-2005 04:47 AM