Old 27-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Kay Easton

Default Is it a weed?

In article , H helenDOTjohnst
writes
Got a plant growing in my back garden this year, and I don't recognise it.
I've had a look on a few weed websites but haven't spotted it either.

It's got thickish, slightly hairy dark green leaves, about 6 cm long. The
leaf shape is pointed oval, but not narrow. The plant is sending out small,
cobalt-blue flowers - 5 petals if I remember correctly. The height of the
plant is about 50 cm tall, several thick, fleshy stems coming out from a
single root.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? It's not borage .. the flowers of my
plant are too small and deeper in colour.

Sounds like one of the same family, though. Try alkanet - Pentaglottis
sempervirens.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: