Old 27-05-2003, 04:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Germinating Seeds -- Need advice...

I don't know about the sunflowers yet, I just planted them 24-48 hours
ago, but the corn and pumpkin seeds were very easy. I have no
experience here, just learning everything I can. I took another's
recommendation and dropped the seed in room temperature water for 12
hours before planting. I planted them outside and covered them with a
row cover to prevent the local birds from eating them. The corn all
came up in 5-8 days. Pumpkin all burst through the top overnight a day
or so after the corn were done. I'm at 16 days and all the corn are
2-2.5" tall. At that's with two weeks of dreary weather in the
northeast.

I know my corn needed over 60 temps. Could 85 be too warm? or too
humid? I've read that as temps go too high or too low from the best
germinating temps for a seed the rates drop.

The overwatering is something I worry about, especially with the near
daily sprinkling-to-pouring rains we've been getting. Two of my big
containers have a greenish tinge to the dirt on top. It worries me. I
had to empty all the pot bottoms cause they are filled to the brim
with rainwater and more rain is expected.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)