Old 27-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Andy

Default How to replant a nepenthes/pticher plant?

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:49:28 +0100, "Jo" wrote:

Hi,
I have a rather top-heavy nepenthes (pitcher plant) which I want to replant
into a hanging basket, so that the pitchers don't pull the existing pot over
anymore...

Do I need special soil? I read somewhere they need a lot of moss? Or can I
just use ericaceous compost (as I believe they like acid soil)? And are they
safe to handle whilst repotting?

AFAIK they need compost with almost no nutrients or they'll die. :-{

They should also be watered with rainwater.

Also - according to a friend of mine who used to keep flytraps - you
mustn't feed them houseflies or the bacteria will kill them.

snip

All advice much appreciated, I am really enthusiatic about this lovely plant
and don't want to kill it!

Here's a page with a few potting mixtures:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010e.html

Take your pick!

Andy