Old 27-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Rod

Default Scale Insects ?? - ants

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...

what is more the ants seem to be 'farming' the scale insects on our Bay Tree
in a pot (or at least harvesting them).

I have scraped loads off but they keep coming back.

So - if I get rid of the ants, will the scale insects not spread as fast?

Won't make a blind bit of difference.
OR
If I get rid of the scale insects will the ants go elsewhere?

Probably - but in any case they're valuable predators.
Is it time to get systemic?

Yes - On a pot grown ornamental
I wouldn't on anything I was going to eat - notwithstanding anything on the product instructions. If you must use a
systemic, do follow the instructions on the product regarding harvest interval.

Is this a container grown plant? In general management is much easier if the plant is in open ground - growth is much
better and the plant is more able to tolerate a light or moderate pest population.

Rod