Old 27-05-2003, 05:20 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Scale Insects ?? - ants

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"gray bale" writes:
| Whats the best way of getting rid of scale insects from a Bay Tree and

| Camelia that I have.

Scraping off with a blunt knife, and repeating as necessary.
Infeasible on large trees, but very effective on small ones.

Alternatively, leaving them outside in areas that get frost.
Scale insects are less hardy than either of those plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The frost doesn't seem to be clearing ours (not that we get much here) and
what is more the ants seem to be 'farming' the scale insects on our Bay Tree
in a pot (or at least harvesting them).

I have scraped loads off but they keep coming back.

So - if I get rid of the ants, will the scale insects not spread as fast?
OR
If I get rid of the scale insects will the ants go elsewhere?

Is it time to get systemic?
If so, what systemics are available now and how long before the plant is
safe to use for culinary purposes?

TIA
Dave R

Old 27-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Rod

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...

what is more the ants seem to be 'farming' the scale insects on our Bay Tree
in a pot (or at least harvesting them).

I have scraped loads off but they keep coming back.

So - if I get rid of the ants, will the scale insects not spread as fast?

Won't make a blind bit of difference.
OR
If I get rid of the scale insects will the ants go elsewhere?

Probably - but in any case they're valuable predators.
Is it time to get systemic?

Yes - On a pot grown ornamental
I wouldn't on anything I was going to eat - notwithstanding anything on the product instructions. If you must use a
systemic, do follow the instructions on the product regarding harvest interval.

Is this a container grown plant? In general management is much easier if the plant is in open ground - growth is much
better and the plant is more able to tolerate a light or moderate pest population.

Rod

Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...

what is more the ants seem to be 'farming' the scale insects on our Bay Tree
in a pot (or at least harvesting them).

I have scraped loads off but they keep coming back.

So - if I get rid of the ants, will the scale insects not spread as fast?

Won't make a blind bit of difference.

Absolutely. Regard the ants as indicators of where you haven't removed
the scale insects from and otherwise ignore them.

OR
If I get rid of the scale insects will the ants go elsewhere?

Probably - but in any case they're valuable predators.

And scavengers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.