Old 27-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Victoria Clare

Default grass clipping as mulch?

i_never_tan wrote in
:

Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
prevent weeds.

Well, it works for me - though I haven't tried it on tomatoes! I use it as
a mulch on my rose bed.

The cuttings will turn yellow-brown quite quickly and start looking a lot
less conspicuous. I don't put on a thick layer at once, because as Nick
has said, if you do that here it tends to go goopy - but a couple of inches
is fine, and saves me walking to the compost heap with the last half-empty
holder-full of grass!

Victoria