Old 27-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Tom Ellison

Default broccoli

Dear Jeny:

Moderately heavy watering may leach off some of the excess nitrogen. I
would consider this to be an "experimental" treatment (not something I have
tried). Also, clean sawdust, when it starts to break down, uses some
nitrogen to get started decaying, so this might bring down your N levels
temporarily. This is also an experimental treatment. But, except for
possible overwatering (depending on your soil's drainage) these suggestions
should be inexpensive and not dangerous.

Do not get sawdust from sawing particle board, plywood, or creosoted or
other treated woods. You don't want to add unspecified poisons to a food
crop! Avoid all types of adhesives and wood treatments.

Tom Ellison

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message
. com...

"Baine Carruthers" wrote

| As for the broccoli, I think too much nitrogen will create lots
of foliage
| at the expense of your flowers.

If there's too much nitrogen is there anything I can use to
counteract it? Or is it just too late for this crop?
Thanks,
Jeny