Old 27-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Janet Sanderson

Default Pond Life &?

Thanks will try
Janet

--
Janet Sanderson
http://www.thornton-le-dale.info
http://www.walnutcottage.net

"andyp" wrote in message
Janet if your pond clarity problems are due to algae/blanket weed then it

is
not wheat straw you need but BARLEY straw. I do not know the science but I
have been growing my own for several years (pinched the initial handful of
seeds from a field) and placing it in plastic bird feeders in the pond
(after first letting it dry out for a few months).
If you do a google on barley straw and ponds you will probably find out

why
wheat is not the same.

Regards

AndyP

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates

"Janet Sanderson" wrote in message
Yesterday when I fed the fish, I found long single strands of
seed like things in jelly, anyone know what it is? Could it be
fish spawn? last year we had loads of baby fish.

I have a continual problem keeping the water clear, in the
end my husband disconnected the pump as it made no difference.
I read about an electric free gadget ina gardening mag.
anyone know what they are or if they work? (sorry long shot)

I have tried wheat straw and heather, and have plenty
of surface cover from lilies. Some days it just clears on its
own, but would like to work it out.

Thanks
Janet