Old 27-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Janet Sanderson

Default Pond Life &?

Yesterday when I fed the fish, I found long single strands of
seed like things in jelly, anyone know what it is? Could it be
fish spawn? last year we had loads of baby fish.

I have a continual problem keeping the water clear, in the
end my husband disconnected the pump as it made no difference.
I read about an electric free gadget ina gardening mag.
anyone know what they are or if they work? (sorry long shot)

I have tried wheat straw and heather, and have plenty
of surface cover from lilies. Some days it just clears on its
own, but would like to work it out.

Thanks
Janet

--
Janet Sanderson
http://www.thornton-le-dale.info

Old 27-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
Yesterday when I fed the fish, I found long single strands of
seed like things in jelly, anyone know what it is?

That sounds like toad spawn.

Could it be
fish spawn? last year we had loads of baby fish.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Tim

On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:10 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
Yesterday when I fed the fish, I found long single strands of
seed like things in jelly, anyone know what it is?

That sounds like toad spawn.

Could it be
fish spawn? last year we had loads of baby fish.

There are some photos here. Scroll down for the toad spawn.
Tim.
Old 27-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Tim

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:23:58 +0200, Tim
wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:10 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
Yesterday when I fed the fish, I found long single strands of
seed like things in jelly, anyone know what it is?

That sounds like toad spawn.

Could it be
fish spawn? last year we had loads of baby fish.

There are some photos here. Scroll down for the toad spawn.
Tim.

Sorry, forgot the link. Durr! http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/pond-
dip/spawn.htm

Old 27-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Cupra

"Tim" wrote in message =
newsprptq43b7wxhha1@localhost...
| On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:23:58 +0200, Tim =
=20
| wrote:
|=20
| On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:10 +0100, Kay Easton =
=20
| wrote:
|
| In article , Janet Sanderson
| writes
| Yesterday when I fed the fish, I found long single strands of
| seed like things in jelly, anyone know what it is?
|
| That sounds like toad spawn.
|
| Could it be
| fish spawn? last year we had loads of baby fish.
|
| There are some photos here. Scroll down for the toad spawn.
| Tim.
|
| Sorry, forgot the link. Durr! =
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/pond-dip/spawn.htm
|=20
|=20

fixed the link for you

Old 27-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Janet Sanderson

Yes that's the stuff, toad spawn, and I must have the "common stuff" as
I have 2 strands. Some eggs are black and others silver, should go with
my tadpoles if the fish do not eat them all.
Thanks everyone
Janet

Old 27-05-2003, 04:08 PM
andyp

Janet if your pond clarity problems are due to algae/blanket weed then it is
not wheat straw you need but BARLEY straw. I do not know the science but I
have been growing my own for several years (pinched the initial handful of
seeds from a field) and placing it in plastic bird feeders in the pond
(after first letting it dry out for a few months).
If you do a google on barley straw and ponds you will probably find out why
wheat is not the same.

Regards

AndyP

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates