Old 28-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default grass clipping as mulch?

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

i_never_tan wrote in
:

Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
prevent weeds.

Well, it works for me - though I haven't tried it on tomatoes! I use it as
a mulch on my rose bed.

The cuttings will turn yellow-brown quite quickly and start looking a lot
less conspicuous. I don't put on a thick layer at once, because as Nick
has said, if you do that here it tends to go goopy - but a couple of inches
is fine, and saves me walking to the compost heap with the last half-empty
holder-full of grass!

I use them successfully round plants and veg, including potatoes. The
more often you do it, the more worms you get, and the faster the mulch
disappears.

If your summer is hot and dry, make sure the earth is well soaked in
water before you mulch.

Janet