Old 28-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] oak in a bad situation

Good advice from Kevin & Shelly. I have one other area of concern. Since you
are in California and using regular soil, I wonder if you might have an oak infested
with Sudden Oak Death Syndrome caused by the microscopic organism known as Phytophthora
ramorum, part of a group funguslike organisms known as water molds. If this is the
case, you need to carefully destroy the oak and its soil to prevent contaminating other
trees. I suggest taking it to your county agricultural extension agent for examination
and diagnosis. Hope I'm wrong, but better safe than sorry!
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Shelly Hurd wrote:
Colin,
I agree with Kevin here, it certainly sounds like too much water. And
natural soil is a big mistake. The only quick solution is much more
drainage, and if that doesn't work a repot will have to be done . . . which
will be much harder on the tree than drilling a bunch of holes in it's
current container. If you wind up repotting, I'd suggest straight coarse
builders sand.
Good luck,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

==============
"Colin Horn" wrote:
A member from my club collected a Kellog Oak in January, and gave it to me in early
march. It is in a 5 gallon bucket with its natural soil. It has been doing great.
Leaves have been booming (its a deciduous tree), and new shoots have been showing.
Several days ago however, I noticed many leaves are turning yellow, and brown at the
tips. It has been very warm the past week, and I usually keep it in the full sun. I
moved it into a more shady area when I noticed the problem, but it is getting worse.
Any thoughts
what it could be, or how I could treat it?
Thanks so much. - Colin Horn
Orinda, CA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --