Old 27-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] oak in a bad situation

A member from my club collected a Kellog Oak in January, and gave it to me
in early march. It is in a 5 gallon bucket with its natural soil. It has
been doin great. Leaves have been booming (its a diciduous tree), and new
shoots have been showing. Several days ago however, I noticed many leaves
are turning yellow, and brown at the tips. It has been very warm the past
week, and I ussually keep it in the full sun. I moved it into a more shady
area when I noticed the problem, but it is getting worse. Any thoughts what
it could be, or how I could treat it? Thanks so much. - Colin Horn Orinda,
CA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-05-2003, 10:08 AM
kevin bailey

Natural soil? That could be the problem. It should really have gone into
well a drained, open soil mixture. Blocked drainage holes are another
possibility that I have nearly lost an oak tree to in the past. Lift the
bucket and check its weight. If it feels very heavy make some new holes
around the bottom and sides of the bucket. If water floods out then you
are likely to have rotted off many of the roots. Mine was revived by a
complete repot (in the height of summer!) washing all soil off, cutting
away dead roots and placing on a heated cable. It is now, six years
later, a showable tree.

Good luck

Kev Bailey

A member from my club collected a Kellog Oak in January, and gave it to
me
in early march. It is in a 5 gallon bucket with its natural soil. It has
been doin great. Leaves have been booming (its a diciduous tree), and
new
shoots have been showing. Several days ago however, I noticed many
leaves
are turning yellow, and brown at the tips. It has been very warm the
past
week, and I ussually keep it in the full sun. I moved it into a more
shady
area when I noticed the problem, but it is getting worse. Any thoughts
what
it could be, or how I could treat it? Thanks so much. - Colin Horn
Orinda,
CA

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Shelly Hurd

Colin,
I agree with Kevin here, it certainly sounds like too much water. And
natural soil is a big mistake. The only quick solution is much more
drainage, and if that doesn't work a repot will have to be done . . . which
will be much harder on the tree than drilling a bunch of holes in it's
current container. If you wind up repotting, I'd suggest straight coarse
builders sand.

Good luck,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 28-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Alan Walker

Good advice from Kevin & Shelly. I have one other area of concern. Since you
are in California and using regular soil, I wonder if you might have an oak infested
with Sudden Oak Death Syndrome caused by the microscopic organism known as Phytophthora
ramorum, part of a group funguslike organisms known as water molds. If this is the
case, you need to carefully destroy the oak and its soil to prevent contaminating other
trees. I suggest taking it to your county agricultural extension agent for examination
and diagnosis. Hope I'm wrong, but better safe than sorry!
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================

==============
"Colin Horn" wrote:
A member from my club collected a Kellog Oak in January, and gave it to me in early
march. It is in a 5 gallon bucket with its natural soil. It has been doing great.
Leaves have been booming (its a deciduous tree), and new shoots have been showing.
Several days ago however, I noticed many leaves are turning yellow, and brown at the
tips. It has been very warm the past week, and I usually keep it in the full sun. I
moved it into a more shady area when I noticed the problem, but it is getting worse.
Any thoughts
what it could be, or how I could treat it?
Thanks so much. - Colin Horn
Orinda, CA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --