Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM

Default disaster narrowly averted

It isnt the plants that are above the water that remove oxygen at night. it is the
algae in the water and especially when the water is hot and not holding much oxygen
period. the really big issue is rotting organic matter. and that will eat up oxygen
really fast. when the pump and/or the air pump quits there is no oxygen or
oxygenated water coming into the system and the bacteria working on the organic load
uses up the oxygen. If you have 1 12" big air stone run by a big air pump you wont
have any kind of problem even in hot weather. Ingrid

(Doug Quarnstrom) wrote:
I ripped out a bunch of plants. Added some large
reserve oxygenation with an air pump, discovered the
blockage in my main water pump, and then decided
to wait to remove the extra stock. I *REALLY* need
to make myself do that. I am hoping I can donate
the babies to my local Bottanic Gardens.

Anyhow, do you guys run plants in your koi ponds?
Many people say koi will destroy them, but that is
just BS. I have lots of plants that coexist with
my koi, but I am beginning to question the wisdom
of keeping them.

doug