Old 28-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Alison

Default 'Topiary' Copper Beech Tree??

"Chris Norton" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:37:30 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Not so much topiary as Bonsai. Go for it; could make a good specimen.

On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:08:54 +0100, "Alison"
. co.uk wrote:

Hmmm bit of an odd one. We have a two/three year old hedge of green

beech
but one has turned out to be a copper beech (grumbled at nursery who

have
supplied a replacement green one). It seems a shame to just chuck it

but
there's nowhere in our garden where we can put it 'naturally' cos it

will
get too big and then it will be even more of a shame to get rid of it.

So
the question is... do you think it would be happy enough being contained

in
a large pot and 'trimmed' into a nice shape? We're not talking serious
topiary here, just a control measure.

Thoughts?

--A

Pam in Bristol

i`d agree with pam on this one. I`ve seen some lovely examples and
currently have 2 in training pots awaiting Bonsai training to begin.

Really must get those pots made................

Ok if I bonsai, do I need to keep getting the tree out of the large pot to
trim roots or will the containment of the pot have that effect?

--A