Old 26-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Alison

Default 'Topiary' Copper Beech Tree??

Hmmm bit of an odd one. We have a two/three year old hedge of green beech
but one has turned out to be a copper beech (grumbled at nursery who have
supplied a replacement green one). It seems a shame to just chuck it but
there's nowhere in our garden where we can put it 'naturally' cos it will
get too big and then it will be even more of a shame to get rid of it. So
the question is... do you think it would be happy enough being contained in
a large pot and 'trimmed' into a nice shape? We're not talking serious
topiary here, just a control measure.

Thoughts?

--A

Old 26-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Pam Moore

Not so much topiary as Bonsai. Go for it; could make a good specimen.

On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:08:54 +0100, "Alison"
o.uk wrote:

Hmmm bit of an odd one. We have a two/three year old hedge of green beech
but one has turned out to be a copper beech (grumbled at nursery who have
supplied a replacement green one). It seems a shame to just chuck it but
there's nowhere in our garden where we can put it 'naturally' cos it will
get too big and then it will be even more of a shame to get rid of it. So
the question is... do you think it would be happy enough being contained in
a large pot and 'trimmed' into a nice shape? We're not talking serious
topiary here, just a control measure.

Thoughts?

--A

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Chris Norton

. co.uk wrote:

Hmmm bit of an odd one. We have a two/three year old hedge of green beech
but one has turned out to be a copper beech (grumbled at nursery who have
supplied a replacement green one). It seems a shame to just chuck it but
there's nowhere in our garden where we can put it 'naturally' cos it will
get too big and then it will be even more of a shame to get rid of it. So
the question is... do you think it would be happy enough being contained in
a large pot and 'trimmed' into a nice shape? We're not talking serious
topiary here, just a control measure.

Thoughts?

--A

Pam in Bristol

i`d agree with pam on this one. I`ve seen some lovely examples and
currently have 2 in training pots awaiting Bonsai training to begin.

Really must get those pots made................
Old 28-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Alison

. co.uk wrote:

[...]

Ok if I bonsai, do I need to keep getting the tree out of the large pot to
trim roots or will the containment of the pot have that effect?

--A

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Chris Norton

On Wed, 28 May 2003 10:53:03 +0100, "Alison"
o.uk wrote:

Ok if I bonsai, do I need to keep getting the tree out of the large pot to
trim roots or will the containment of the pot have that effect?

--A

Begineers guide to root trimming of Bonsai.

Do it just before bud breakout (a real cow to judge with Beech tho)

Take tree out of pot.

Check to see if potbound

If it is trim 1/3 of the roots. If it is`nt then don`t Trim

Put Tree back in pot.

Replace the compost you get rid of with a nice free draining mix.

There we go.

If you just leave the tree in then the tree will eventually use all
the nutrient and it will suffer as it will dry out quickly.

How big is this tree/pot? If we are talking a nice big pot which
nearly takes two of you to carry then the easiest way to trim the
roots is take it out of the pot and get a nice big saw (yes the type
chippies use) and just saw through the bottom 1/3rd.

Please remember that if your going to put this in a bonsai pot then
your going to have to get used to the watering. Hot weather this could
be twice a day!!!!