Old 28-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Planting this late?

On Wed, 28 May 2003 05:25:48 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

Shane said:

I have not been able to get my garden tilled due to all the rain. Is it too
late to plant from seed in North Carolina?

It would depend on what you are planting. For fall crops, it's still too early. 8^)

I have two plantings of corn left to go in, and all of my squash, and lima beans
just going in. My tomato plants just went in, my peppers and eggplants are
still waiting to go in -- here in Michigan.

(In Pennsylvania's chilly Northern Tier), I transplanted the
peppers out to the garden yesterday. The eggplants are
still in the house, under lights.

The tomatoes are all in the garden, but they're in
WalloWaters. Two of them have outgrown the WoWs which will
be removed shortly, and replaced with tomato cages. I could
still cover the tomatoes if frost was forecast.

Cucumbers are in the house, under lights. Beans haven't
been planted yet, but will be shortly (if it ever stops
raining long enough).

The squash and zucchini can be transplanted now to the
garden, if we ever get a day when it isn't raining.

Now harvesting and eating: 4 varieties of lettuce, bok choy,
choy sum, hon tsai tai, and Swiss chard. The first planting
of broccoli is almost ready to harvest.

Fall crops aren't, of course, planted yet.

Pat