Old 28-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Plane travel with a bonsai

As a result exotic insects, diseases, and plants regularly enter
the USA (and I doubt there is much difference elsewhere). And
unfortunately, we don't really give a HOOT (except, perhaps, on
paper) what happens to leave the country and go to -- for example
to the EU.

I'm filling out my permits now to receive fungi from California and
Europe. The regulatory people I've been working with to develop my
research plans seem to be competant and caring, which is surprising,
I admit.

I'm learning a lot about EU regulations concerning the transport of
nursery stock. All I can say is that "Sudden oak death" was a
localized problem in Germany and now, within one year, it has spread
throughout the EU. The EU open borders are good for trade, bad for
plant pests.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD