Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
N_A_J

Default How to Make a Lawn Mower into Mulching Mower?

(Jay Chan) wrote in message . com...
I would like to know what makes a lawn mower into a mulching mower. Is
this as simple as removing the bag and let the grass clippings to fall
on the lawn? This is exactly what I have been doing for two years. But
I am not exactly sure if I am doing this right.

Actually, I have a feeling that I have been doing this wrong. The
reason is that the grass clippings are kind of long. I believe the
grass clippers are supposed to be much shorter if I used a mulching
mower. I am wondering what I can do to make my lawn mower to work
better for mulching. Is this as simple as replacing the stock blade
with a blade for mulching? Does the blade for mulching have a longer
cutting edge as compared with the stock blade? (My stock blade only
have 3" cutting edge in each end of the blade). Does the blade for
mulching have a different shape from a stock blade?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan

I've posted similar questions to this NG. What I've come to realize is
that mulching blades and conversion kits for non-mulching mowers are,
for the most part, ineffective. Either purchase a mower designed
specifically for mulching, or bag your clippings. There is more to
mulching than changing a blade. Mulching mowers have deck designs that
help facilitate the mulching process. BTW, who the hell has time to
cut the grass 2x per week?