Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Hosta Question

(Frogleg) wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2003 17:28:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

(Frogleg) expounded:

But transplanting wouldn't alter the genetics of the plant. More
likely light, as Digital suggested.

That is not true. Variegated plants can throw off a green shoot at
any time. You have to remove that sport, or the more vigorous green
will overtake the plant.

Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that. But if monochrome 'sports' are
common, wouldn't *all* the variegated ones become plain after a couple
of years? I mean, my hostas die back each fall and put out new growth
in the spring. I still don't see why simply transplanting would make
that much difference. I *do* notice that there seem to be more
variegated hostas ('though smaller ones) in situations with more
light. Have not made a study of this, but I'm going to be on the
lookout from now on. :-)

One of the books I have discusses that the leaves of a plant reveal
important aspect of the plant.

In general, white-to-green and yellow-to-green variegated leaves
contain reduced chlorophyll surfaces. These plants always need a site
with more sun (but not sunny) than green-leaved species and cultivars.

It was one of the more interesting discussions for a first time
gardener. Like large soft leaves need lost of water, tiny leaves less,
leathery leaves like dry, succulent(fleshy) leaves are meant to
withstand dry periods, tender leaves with high water need filtered
light. Interesting stuff

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)