Old 26-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Richard Grant

Default Hosta Question

In early May I transplanted 3 hostas, one of which is Frances
Williams. The leaves were variegated on all of them. The hostas all
look fine but they're all green, no color. Will their original color
return? I live in zone 5/6, north of Boston.
Old 27-05-2003, 11:08 AM
GrampysGurl

In early May I transplanted 3 hostas, one of which is Frances
Williams. The leaves were variegated on all of them. The hostas all
look fine but they're all green, no color. Will their original color
return? I live in zone 5/6, north of Boston.

My neighbor has a bed of variegated hostas that is all reverting back to an all
green color. I am allowed to "steal" at will from this bed, I have more then
enough variegated variety, I would like more of just plain green.

Old 27-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:48:48 -0400, Ann wrote:

(Richard Grant) expounded:

In early May I transplanted 3 hostas, one of which is Frances
Williams. The leaves were variegated on all of them. The hostas all
look fine but they're all green, no color. Will their original color
return? I live in zone 5/6, north of Boston.

Most likely not, Frances Williams is a sport of sieboldiani, I think,
it sounds like yours reverted back to the green form, which is not a
common thing to happen, but it can.

But transplanting wouldn't alter the genetics of the plant. More
likely light, as Digital suggested.

Old 27-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Vox Humana

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:48:48 -0400, Ann wrote:

(Richard Grant) expounded:

In early May I transplanted 3 hostas, one of which is Frances
Williams. The leaves were variegated on all of them. The hostas all
look fine but they're all green, no color. Will their original color
return? I live in zone 5/6, north of Boston.

Most likely not, Frances Williams is a sport of sieboldiani, I think,
it sounds like yours reverted back to the green form, which is not a
common thing to happen, but it can.

But transplanting wouldn't alter the genetics of the plant. More
likely light, as Digital suggested.

I have had gold standard and great expectations revert after they were
divided.

Old 28-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Frogleg

On Tue, 27 May 2003 17:28:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

(Frogleg) expounded:

But transplanting wouldn't alter the genetics of the plant. More
likely light, as Digital suggested.

That is not true. Variegated plants can throw off a green shoot at
any time. You have to remove that sport, or the more vigorous green
will overtake the plant.

Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that. But if monochrome 'sports' are
common, wouldn't *all* the variegated ones become plain after a couple
of years? I mean, my hostas die back each fall and put out new growth
in the spring. I still don't see why simply transplanting would make
that much difference. I *do* notice that there seem to be more
variegated hostas ('though smaller ones) in situations with more
light. Have not made a study of this, but I'm going to be on the
lookout from now on. :-)
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
DigitalVinyl

(Frogleg) wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2003 17:28:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

(Frogleg) expounded:

But transplanting wouldn't alter the genetics of the plant. More
likely light, as Digital suggested.

That is not true. Variegated plants can throw off a green shoot at
any time. You have to remove that sport, or the more vigorous green
will overtake the plant.

Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that. But if monochrome 'sports' are
common, wouldn't *all* the variegated ones become plain after a couple
of years? I mean, my hostas die back each fall and put out new growth
in the spring. I still don't see why simply transplanting would make
that much difference. I *do* notice that there seem to be more
variegated hostas ('though smaller ones) in situations with more
light. Have not made a study of this, but I'm going to be on the
lookout from now on. :-)

One of the books I have discusses that the leaves of a plant reveal
important aspect of the plant.

In general, white-to-green and yellow-to-green variegated leaves
contain reduced chlorophyll surfaces. These plants always need a site
with more sun (but not sunny) than green-leaved species and cultivars.

It was one of the more interesting discussions for a first time
gardener. Like large soft leaves need lost of water, tiny leaves less,
leathery leaves like dry, succulent(fleshy) leaves are meant to
withstand dry periods, tender leaves with high water need filtered
light. Interesting stuff

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 AM
gregpresley

this change of variegation has just happened to a friend's varieagated
version of brunner macrophylla. (the perennial forget-me-not). He moved the
plant, but obviously left some roots in the ground in the process. This
spring, the leaves came up all green. As 'entertaining' as varieagation is
in plants, it does obviously come with some price to the species. Most of my
variegated plants, whether pieris, obedient plant, or whatever, tend to be
quite a bit less vigorous than their all-green counterparts.
"Ann" wrote in message
(Frogleg) expounded:

Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that. But if monochrome 'sports' are
common, wouldn't *all* the variegated ones become plain after a couple
of years? I mean, my hostas die back each fall and put out new growth
in the spring. I still don't see why simply transplanting would make
that much difference. I *do* notice that there seem to be more
variegated hostas ('though smaller ones) in situations with more
light. Have not made a study of this, but I'm going to be on the
lookout from now on. :-)

Well, no one said they were common, they just happen, once in awhile,
and should be removed when found. I don't know why they revert like
that, I can honestly say none of mine have (hostas), but I've seen it
in other gardens, like my mom's. I have seen a green branch develop
on a friend's variegated dogwood, she removed it as soon as it was
noticeable.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

[IMG] code is On

Hosta question MaryJoL Gardening 12 03-06-2005 03:06 PM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1) Big Time Gardening 18 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (1/1) Big Time Gardening 6 11-06-2004 02:02 AM
Another Hosta question... HA HA Budys Here Gardening 0 24-05-2004 04:03 AM
Hosta question junkyardcat Gardening 2 19-08-2003 02:12 AM