Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Ann

Default Hosta Question

(Frogleg) expounded:

Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that. But if monochrome 'sports' are
common, wouldn't *all* the variegated ones become plain after a couple
of years? I mean, my hostas die back each fall and put out new growth
in the spring. I still don't see why simply transplanting would make
that much difference. I *do* notice that there seem to be more
variegated hostas ('though smaller ones) in situations with more
light. Have not made a study of this, but I'm going to be on the
lookout from now on. :-)

Well, no one said they were common, they just happen, once in awhile,
and should be removed when found. I don't know why they revert like
that, I can honestly say none of mine have (hostas), but I've seen it
in other gardens, like my mom's. I have seen a green branch develop
on a friend's variegated dogwood, she removed it as soon as it was
noticeable.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA