Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Steve

Default blind sheaths

I've been there. (ABPO)
It's just a "spike" that tried to change into a vegetative growth
instead of flowers. There's probably a name for the process but I doubt
if there's a name for the "thing" the process produced. You'll probably
never see such a thing again.
It reminds me of the time I pinched off all the growing points of a
tomato plant. (I was trying it to see if it made the existing tomatoes
ripen faster. ... results were uncertain.) If new vegetative growth
started, I pinched it off until there were no more to grow. Man that
thing wanted to grow anyway! Some of the leaves grew big thick stems
that were not at all normal. After a while, it managed to start a new
stem right out of one of the thickened leaves. Kind of freaky and I
never tried it again.

Steve

Diane Mancino wrote:
Thanks Steve, so this isn't what I'm looking at. Got any idea of what this
is? If it is a messed up spike, what would you call it? The right keyword
will lead me to the right search on the net. I can send you a picture if
you cant find it at Alt pictures.

Diane

"Steve" wrote in message ...

Diane, Oncidiums don't have sheaths, blind or otherwise.

Steve