Old 27-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Diane Mancino

Default blind sheaths

I posted a picture of a growth on a onciduim that I think is a blind
shealth , at alt.binaries.pictures.orchids. I can't find any other pictures
of a blind sheath so this is an assumpsion.

If it is, should I just cut it off or let it die on its own. who else had
this happen to their orchid- not much info about it

--
Diane

Old 27-05-2003, 11:44 PM
profpam

Diane,

Blind sheaths seem to appear to a greater degree in cattleya types and
when the orchid is attempting to get ready to bloom for the first time.
If the plant is not well-established or immature you might not want it
to bloom until the following year so that it produces leaves instead of
flowers.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 28-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Diane Mancino

cattleya and some onciduims is what I found reference to. This untagged
plant is in a 8 " pot and was on the back table of a garden shop, out of
bloom but in good condition. I haggled the price down . You can see the
cut stem were it had flowered, and this was one of the new growths. The shop
had lighting that you wouldn't want to read a book in, I have hopes that
proper lighting will help next spike- but what do you do with the growth?
does the plant think its producing a flower?

Diane

Old 28-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Diane Mancino

Thanks Steve, so this isn't what I'm looking at. Got any idea of what this
is? If it is a messed up spike, what would you call it? The right keyword
will lead me to the right search on the net. I can send you a picture if
you cant find it at Alt pictures.

Diane

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Steve

I've been there. (ABPO)
It's just a "spike" that tried to change into a vegetative growth
instead of flowers. There's probably a name for the process but I doubt
if there's a name for the "thing" the process produced. You'll probably
never see such a thing again.
It reminds me of the time I pinched off all the growing points of a
tomato plant. (I was trying it to see if it made the existing tomatoes
ripen faster. ... results were uncertain.) If new vegetative growth
started, I pinched it off until there were no more to grow. Man that
thing wanted to grow anyway! Some of the leaves grew big thick stems
that were not at all normal. After a while, it managed to start a new
stem right out of one of the thickened leaves. Kind of freaky and I
never tried it again.

Steve